No Electronics Day


“By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. Then God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done.” Genesis 2:2-3

A psalm of David
“The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.  Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.” Psalm 23

  • Tell friends and family
As you prepare for your ‘No Electronics Day’, make sure to tell family and friends the day before that you will not be easily accessible by phone and why.  Make sure to still have your phone on or other contact devices in case of emergency. 


  •  Why do it?
I do it to clear my mind.  There is so much that is thrown at us every day through technology.  Social media, television, the news, and other sites that are visited are useful, but can also bog us down.  It is nice to be able to have a day with less distractions and try to realign and focus on God. 

I schedule these days every couple of weeks or so and try to tune out the noise of the world in order to hear the quiet whisper of God.  When I first started to take these days, I would not know what to do with myself.  I knew that I needed this discipline though.  Overtime, I looked forward to it.

  •  What’s the plan?
The night before, make a list of some key things that you would like to do.  Some suggestions are:

Read a book such as the Bible.
You don’t have to sit all day and read.   You can read some of your bible and read other books that you have wanted to.
                        Clean, organize an area or tidy up.
                        Make a craft.
                        Color or draw.
                        Knit, crochet, or tat.
                        Go for a walk.
                        Write a thank you note or a letter of appreciation to someone.
                        Journal or list your blessings.
                        Think about blessed moments in your life.
                        Try out a new recipe.
                        Have a conversation with actual people.
                        Just sit.  You could be surprised what comes out of this action.


There are many things that you can do based on your interests.   Take this time to slow down and enjoy the blessed life that has been given to you.  Blessings can be experienced and found daily if we take the time to find and experience them.

Blessings!


Comments

Popular Posts